The key information you need to help you find your perfect student home.

Zero Fees

We understand the financial burdens that students face and so WE DO NOT CHARGE STUDENTS ANY AGENCY FEES. Glamorgan Student Letting is the one-stop-shop for both landlords and tenants.


Insurance Included

All Glamorgan Student Lettings properties come with FREE tenant’s contents insurance included through Endsleigh Insurance, so you can have additional peace of mind in you new home.

Union Owned

Glamorgan Student Lettings is owned and run by the University of South Wales Students Union so you can always be certain of getting a fair deal. We work for you because we are run by you.

Tips for Student House Hunters

Being part of the Students’ Union we are keen to ensure that tenants’ find a property in the right location, that suits their requirements and meets current safety regulations. We are aware of the financial burdens on students and therefore DO NOT CHARGE ANY AGENCY FEES to students. Our advice is to take your time before signing up to anything, there is plenty of good quality property out there and there is no need to take the first property you see.

From January onwards we will be listing new properties on a daily basis so if we don’t have the right thing for you when you see us, we can register your details and we will notify you by text or email when anything new comes in. Our full Student Guideline booklet is available from the office or from the link on the home page.

Our top tips are;

  • Don’t rush, there are more than enough houses for everyone so take your time. We will have new houses coming
    on from January right up until October
  • Make a checklist of what you need from your accommodation; rent, location, facilities, condition etc.
  • Come see us first, we will have a vast amount of quality properties available and we DO NOT CHARGE
  • If you use an external letting agent, before you sign anything, check what agency fees you will have to pay and
    question what it covers
  • Ask to see the contract before you sign it and if in doubt get the Student Union Advice Centre to look over it for
    you before signing
  • Make sure you are happy with who you will be living with. Once you sign the tenancy, you have entered a
    legally binding agreement

Types of Property Rental

Like most letting agents, Glamorgan Student Letting offers the landlord two letting services, ‘Managed’ and ‘Find Tenant Only’ It is important that you understand the differences between the two and which service your new landlord has chosen as this will dictate whether you deal directly with the landlord or with Glamorgan Student Letting after you have moved in.


You always deal directly with Glamorgan Student Letting. Any problems, maintenance queries etc. should all be reported to Glamorgan Student Letting. The bond is held and protected by the Deposit Protection Service (DPS).

Find Tenant Only

Glamorgan Student Letting will provide the initial tenancy agreement (contract) for you and collect the first months rent and bond before passing it over to the landlord.

Once you have moved in you will be given your landlords contact details and any problems, maintenance queries etc. should all be reported directly to your landlord. Your bond will either be held by your landlord (but securely protected by one of two insurance based schemes), or held by the Deposit Protection Service until the end of the tenancy. You will be provided with full details of where your bond is held and the return procedure.


Once you have decided on your accommodation a holding deposit may be required to secure the room until the contracts are drawn up. The bond is usually used to secure the property. Before the commencement of the tenancy, the first months rent will be required and the dilapidations deposit (Bond), in cleared funds i.e. Cash, banker’s draft or cleared cheque.

Most agents will also charge an administration fee and possibly a reference fee. These fees can turn out to be quite expensive (£35- £175). Note. Glamorgan Student Letting charges no Administration fees.

The amount asked for varies but is normally the equivalent of one months rent plus £100. e.g. Rent is £800pcm Bond would be £900. (This can then be broken down per room e.g. £200 each pcm with bond of £225 each).

You will pay your deposit to the agent. Within 30 days the agent must provide you with certain prescribed information including:

  • Which of the three authorised schemes they are using
  • How to apply to get your deposit back at the end of the tenancy
  • An explanation of the purpose of the deposit
  • What to do if there is a dispute


The majority of students will require a guarantor to cover their liability as they are unlikely to be able to prove an income. A guarantor is a person that will sign to say that they will cover any rent arrears or damages in excess of the bond held. This is someone who lives and works in the UK. They must be able to provide us with:

  • Proof of Address: ie bank statement, utility bill.
  • Proof of ID and signature: Copy of Passport or Driving Licence
  • Proof of Income:
    • If you are employed by a company, please provide one of the following:-
      • Employers letter showing annual wage
      • P60
      • Copies of the last 3 consecutive bank statements
    • If you are self employed please provide one of the following:-
      • A letter from the company accountant stating income in the last 2 years
      • The last consecutive 6 months bank statements.

Tenancy Contract Explained

Your tenancy is a legally binding agreement and for a fixed term. The landlord is under no obligation to release you from the tenancy should you change your mind. You will remain liable for the rent even if you never move in.

However in certain circumstances your landlord may agree to release you from the tenancy but only if and when you find a replacement tenant. Only once all tenants have signed the revised agreement and the new replacement tenant has paid the deposit, rent, signed the tenancy and returned the guarantor form will you be released from your original agreement.

If your landlord does agree and you find a suitable replacement, we can draw up the revised agreement. You as the outgoing tenant will be liable for this cost which is £50 plus VAT.


Different landlords have different rules and regulations when it comes to pets, which are typically set out in your tenancy agreement. Some will explicitly forbid it, some will take a more flexible approach, some may allow certain types of pets but not others, and some may be completely open-minded.

If you’ve been told by your landlord that pets aren’t allowed, it’s important that you don’t flout these rules. If you’re unsure, or if your tenancy agreement doesn’t make it expressly clear about what the position on pets is, contact GSL or your landlord beforehand.

Our policy on keeping pets together with an example agreement is below:



Download the GSL Tenancy Handbook

For all the essential information about living in one of our homes, download the new Tenancy Handbook which has all the information you need together with maps, useful contacts and area information.

Download our app

Available FREE on iOS and Android

Our brand new App allows you to search for the latest properties from the palm of your hand and is ideal for new and current tenants. You can even report and follow up any maintenance issues through Fixflo.